With the 2013 NFL Draft now just less than two months away and the scouting combine just coming to an end I would like to take a look at how I see the first 10 picks of the NFL draft playing out this April.
1. Kansas City Chiefs – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M: After making a deal with the San Francisco 49ers for quarterback Alex Smith there is no longer a reason to take a one here. They will look to re-sign Branden Albert and let Eric Winston go to free agency making Joeckel a perfect replacement for Winston.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Chance Warmack, OG, Bama: The addition of defensive ends Jason Babin and second round pick Andre Branch will have the Jags looking to get stronger on the interior of their offensive line and Bama’s Warmack looks like he could be the man for the job.
3. Oakland Raiders – Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida: With Richard Seymour hitting the road they are going to look to get that defensive back by using this pick on Floyd to eat up blockers and cause trouble for Manning, Rivers, and now Alex Smith who they will be facing twice a year.
4. Philadelphia Eagles – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah: The Eagles are looking at a change on defense and no one knows yet whether they will use a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. So I think they take a chance here with Lotulelei’s heart condition knowing that they could line him up at tackle alongside last years first round pick Fletcher Cox in a 4-3, or move Cox to End and use Lotulelei at the nose tackle position in a 3-4 scheme.
5. Detroit Lions – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State: Defensive Ends Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosch are likely to leave Detroit, so the Lions will look to the raw-talented and high motored German End to start to fill those shoes.
6. Cleveland Browns – Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: After seeing the success that Seattle and Washington had last year with Russell Wilson and RGIII and also last years first rounder quarterback Brandon Weeden being 29 and and struggling in his rookie campaign I would not be surprised to see the Browns take a chance on Geno here at six.
7. Arizona Cardinals – Eric Fisher, OL, Central Michigan: The Cardinals finished this season with one of the leagues worst offenses and with no quarterbacks worthy of being selected here they will look to go with the big and athletic lineman here to protect a quarterback that they will bring most likely later on in the draft.
8. Buffalo Bills – Dion Jordan, DE/LB, Oregon: With the eighth pick the Bills will look to find an outside linebacker who can consistently rush the passer as well as cover down field and they should be able to do so with the athletic former tight end Dion Jordan.
9. New York Jets – Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia: Like the Cardinals the Jets will find that there are no quarterbacks worthy of being taken here so they will take Georgia’s Jarvis Jones and hope that he can be a sack machine like his fellow alum Justin Houston is for the Chiefs.
10. Tennessee Titans – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Running back Chris Johnson has already opened his mouth and said that he will run for more yards this season than the Vikings Adrian Peterson. So if that’s going to happen step one is get stronger on the offensive line and Johnson will surely be around here to helpout.